Sunday 11 May 2014

Got Beef, Whitchurch Road, Cardiff food blog


Readers of the blog will know I’m a bit of a fan of Got Beef’s burgers.

Following the success of their regular pop-ups, they opened their first bricks and mortar establishment on Whitchurch Road at the end of March.

The exposed brickwork, open kitchen and neon lights of the restaurant’s interior are a good fit for the casual style of food.


A menu of craft beers includes the session lager Pistonhead (£3) alongside other solid choices from Brewdog, Brewers & Union and Sam Adams.


Most importantly, the menu of burgers includes familiar favourites from the pop-up days including the Heisenburger, with blue drunken onions & blue cheese, and the Bombay, with curried bacon and coriander & lime mayo.

Sticking with the principle that simple is best, I ordered the Welsh Black (£6.95). 

A soft toasted brioche bun, juicy Welsh Black beef patty, oozing American cheese, sliced iceberg and a Big Mac-esque secret sauce (minus the diced gherkins) all combined to form a super tasty burger. 


A side of dirty fries (£3.50) was an epic guilty pleasure. Gooey cheese, spicy Cajun mayo, jalapeno slices and salty bacon bits all adorned a bowl of fries – what’s not to like?


One month after opening, it’s good to see that business is thriving at Got Beef and that the transition from pop-up to permanent restaurant has proved to be a winning formula.

It would still be nice to see the burgers cooked a medium pink – but Got Beef has unquestionably helped to raise the game for burgers in Cardiff.


The details:

Address - Got Beef, 83 Whitchurch Road, CF14 3JP Cardiff
Telephone - 029 2061 7534


10 comments:

  1. Delicious! Always great to follow you through Facebook. Can I recommend an visit to Zaitoon Cafe on City Road? Fast food comprising of awesome homemade burgers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check it out - cheers for the tip!

      Delete
    2. There on Albany rd ..... and burgers are well done only

      Delete
  2. My boyfriend just actually licked my phone screen. ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope I'm not responsible for a broken phone!

      Delete
  3. Good write up as always Ed. Must visit there weekly (chiropractor's just down the way). Just one thing- my burgers (and I usually go for the WB- solid choice) always have a pleasing blush of pink to them. They advertise that they cook them medium I think. Love the fact they cook to order too, unlike some...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jonathan. Good to hear the burgers have been medium whenever you've visited. I'll hope for a pink patty next time :-)

      Delete
    2. Incredibly disappointed with this place, makes out its all homemade and locally produced but with the open kitchen (which makes your clothes stink) you can see everything from the buns, chips, onion rings, etc, being opened from supermarket packets, their burgers were pre-made in boxes too, Disgusting when you factor in the prices charged! All style no substance.

      Delete
  4. Been looking forward to visiting Got Beef for a while. My personal quest to find my favorite burger joint in Cardiff is getting out of control now. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went here a good while ago now and I have to say I was not impressed with the burger I was served. I ordered the Soprano and the patty was hard and chewy which to me means over worked and over cooked mince! Also, the chorizo was the reason I went for the Soprano. I was expecting some nice fresh cut and fried quality chorizo but it was just two slices of the pre-cut packet stuff!
    I expect more from A) A dedicated burger joint and B) When spending 8 quid on a burger.

    ReplyDelete