Saturday 14 May 2016

Pettigrew Bakeries, Cardiff review


Despite the unrelenting invasion of Geordie chain bakery Greggs and their disturbingly addictive sausage cylinders, things are looking up for baked goods in Cardiff.

In the last few years purveyors of banging bread and kick ass pastries One Mile Bakery, Nata & Co, Cocorico, Brod, Cup & Cake Bakery and The Early Bird Bakery have all opened their doors. Furthermore, Alex Gooch’s multi-award winning bread is readily available from retailers including Bean Freaks and Penylan Pantry.


Now, the team from the lovely Pettigrew Tea Rooms have tastefully transformed an old hardware shop near Victoria Park into Pettigrew Bakeries.

When I visited first thing on a Sunday morning, a multitude of baked goods were still being unloaded from the ovens. I stocked up on the below (the bill came to around £10.50), dashed home and snaffled the lot immediately. The concept of delayed gratification has always been alien to me. 


A salted caramel tart was a thing of wonder and joy. A molten slick of well balanced sweet and salty caramel was cradled by a perfectly short pastry case.


A sourdough loaf was full of complexity with a cracking crumb and golden crust. 


Surprisingly, Pettigrew’s sausage rolls aren’t made in house but are supplied by Coopers of Shrewsbury. A pork, Shropshire blue and caramelised onion roll was still rather lush - the bulging bronzed pastry cocooning a generous amount of flavour-packed sausage meat. 


I wasn’t entirely sold on a piece of bread pudding - whilst it was well flavoured with cinnamon and raisins, it was slightly dense and claggy. 

But, a chocolate brownie was a stunning example of its type - all goo and crunch of nut.


Pettigrew Bakeries is a lovely addition to the Victoria Park area of Cardiff. Viva la pastry revoluciĆ³n.

The Details:

Address - Pettigrew Bakeries, 595 Cowbridge Rd E, Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF5 1BE
Telephone - 02921 321270

Pettigrew Bakeries Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

7 comments:

  1. In addition to the baking quality here, you may have noticed the solid construction of the wooden crates they use for display purpose. Everything in the place is about craftsmen/women doing what they do best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Anonymous - I noticed the interior was lovely but I didn't spot the wooden crates specifically. I think I must have been too focused on the baked goods!

      Delete
    2. This was slightly tongue in cheek - I was crate-constructor-in-chief on launch day -1

      Delete
    3. It's Alvin by the way :o)

      Delete
    4. @Alvin - I thought it might have been tongue in cheek but always hard to tell with anonymous commentors! I'll be sure to have a better look at the crates next time :-)

      Delete
  2. My idea of food heaven, I wish it was my local bakery.
    I've tried the brownies - delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Jamie - Me too! Although I suspect I'd eat more pastries than I really ought to.

      Delete