Saturday 29 July 2017

Mangla's Spice of Life, Cardiff Indian vegetarian and vegan restaurant review


One day in the near future I’m pretty sure we’ll have mostly vegan diets due to the unsustainability of meat and dairy production and the earth's swelling population.

On that day, when a mixed doner costs a thousand quid, I’ll eat Indian food on a daily basis.

Indian cuisine serves up by far the best vegetarian and vegan food with its meat-like aubergine and okra curries, kaleidoscope of interesting spices and moreish deep-fried goodies.


Mangla’s Spice of Life in the burgeoning Victoria Park area of Cardiff serves exactly the kind of home-style Indian food that I’m talking about.

Hailing originally from the Gujarat, the restaurant’s namesake and owner, Mangla Dodiya, has run the Pembroke Mini Market for the last twenty years. It’s always been her dream to open her own restaurant and earlier this year it became a reality.

There’s a homely vibe to the place with its mishmash of tables and chairs, rainforest of potted plants and Mangla in the open kitchen running the show.


As a group of four, we ordered pretty much everything on the menu.

Complimentary poppadoms were served with sumbhara, a combination of carrot, cabbage and green chillies that was delicately spiced with turmeric, mustard seed and fenugreek. It was a welcome change to the usual mango chutney and lime pickle.


A bevy of deep-fried treats were generously portioned and well-spiced. They were served with a sweet and spicy tomato chutney (£1) and yoghurt dip (£1).

Golden onion bhajis (£4);


grease-free samosas filled with potato, carrot, peas and sweetcorn (£4);


mixed vegetable pakora (£4) made with broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, carrot and potato;


and potato vada (£4), comprising of thin slices of battered potato, were all delicious.


A selection of curries were far lighter and fresh tasting than you’d find in a typical curry house.

Peas and spinach paneer (£7) was my pick of the bunch. The soft cheese was served in a delicately creamy tomato sauce.


Moong dal (£6) was fragranced with cumin and mustard seed amongst other spices.


Channa saak (£6) saw chickpeas and soft potatoes in another flavoursome gravy.


Finally, ringan potato muttar saak (£7) was a curry of soft aubergines, peas and potatoes.


Breads hit the mark too - soft roti (£1.50), bubbly and slightly crisp puri (£1.50), deeply spiced thepla (£1.90). A paratha (£1.50) was the weakest link as it lacked the flaky butteriness of the best examples.


Fluffy basmati rice (£2.50) completed the feast.


Mangla’s Spice of Life is a well-priced and tasty labour of love. For a taste of home-cooked Indian cooking, I’d recommend a visit.

The Details:

Address - Mangla's Spice of Life, 587 Cowbridge Rd E, Cardiff CF5 1BE
Web - https://manglasspiceoflife.wixsite.com/cardiff/menus
Telephone - 029 2132 4183

Mangla's Spice of Life Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

3 comments:

  1. pelican ladycake3 August 2017 at 16:29

    That looks incredible. I'm new to Cardiff and know NOTHING about the eating choices yet so very pleased to find your reviews. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Pelican ladycake - glad my blog is of use. Welcome to Cardiff and happy eating!

      Delete
  2. I must say that her food is incredible but I had a very bad experience with Mangla's spice of life. My husband is a international student here and I am here as a spouse. I started working for Mangla around 2 months ago. I worked there for a month. And she is not giving me my salary!! I called her sooo many times but every time I call her she refuses to answer and if she mistakenly answer the call she says that she is busy..she will call me back but she never does!! In the beginning I waited for two weeks and when I was in a deep trouble,me and my husband told her that she has to give me my salary but she was like NO after Christmas I will give you the salary. I called her after 3 days of Christmas and she said that "I am very pissed with your behaviour.. I am very busy now. I will phone you and don't phone me back" I just didn't get it that if I asked for the money which I have earned..what is sooo wrong with it?? Even till today I keep calling her for the money but again the same thing I had to face! She owes me around £300!!! I worked sooo hard for her..I had to travel from Trehafod to Cardiff just to work there...and spent a lot for the transportation!!! IS THIS THE WAY SHOULD SOMEONE CHEAT ON THEIR EMPLOYEE..TREAT THEIR STAFF...MADE THEM WORK AND NOT PAY?? Such a shame...such a disgrace!!

    ReplyDelete